Friday, November 22, 2013

Things I have learned in my time as a feminist killjoy


  • Sex. Is amazing and orgasms are even better. However, talking about sex and orgasms will earn you the title of slut.
  • Referring to your genitals is not a common practice and people will side eye you when you do it. Which is why I do it. Often. 
  • Women, regardless of their size, are subject to the same insecurities and criticism as anyone. Skinny, fat, doesn't matter, we're all doing it wrong. 
  • Working is awesome. 
  • Talking about money and earning it is socially acceptable and normal for men, but when women do it, it's "tacky" and proves that you don't care about your kids. 
  • Being a feminist does not mean what you think it does. Or you. Or you. 
  • I am not your mom, mommy or momma. There are three people in the world who are allowed to call me that and they lived inside of me for 9 months. 
  • Being called "girl" brings the rage. 
  • If you're self-confident, you're "full of yourself". If you're assertive, you're a bitch. I'm okay with being both. 
  • It's socially acceptable to be a doormat. 
  • I am more than a breeder. My identity is not dependent on the beings I pushed out my vagina. 
  • I do not need to ask my husband for "permission". 
  • No matter the length of my skirt, the amount of cleavage I show, or the amount of skin is revealed, someone, somewhere will think I'm "asking" for it. 
  • Pink is awesome. Blue is awesome. Gender specificity is not. 
  • I am "allowed" to be smart. I am not, however, allowed to be smarter than a man. 
  • Consent is the key word. 
  • Cursing does not make me a "lady"
  • The only opinion I'm allowed to have is the one that has been mansplained to me. 
  • The patriarchy sucks. 
  • No matter what decision I make, I'm doing it wrong and ruining it for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment